ALMOND MILK, ORGANIC CHAI TEA, BANANA, MEDJOOL DATES, CRANBERRIES, VEGA PROTEIN SMOOTHIE (VANILLA), ALMONDS, CASHEWS, CINNAMON, CHIA & FLAX BLEND, HEMP SEEDS AND COCONUT FLAKES
This was just wonderful…sweet, aromatic, a little spicy and nutty. Chai has always been one of my favorite things to drink, when winding down after a meal or in the morning to get a bit of pep in my step. Since I weened myself off of my caffeine addiction earlier this year, I can now have an ocassional coffee, chai, etc without the need to have multiple cups every single day. Well, on this day I wanted Chai and nobody was going to stop me…further, I was going to find a way to incorporate into a great tasting, nutritious smoothie as well! Pay close attention to the instructions because this one is a little more complex than the usual smoothie recipes I make.
12 oz of Almond Milk
2 Organic Chai Tea Bags
1 Frozen Banana
2 Medjool Dates (pitted)
1 scoop VEGA PROTEIN SMOOTHIE (VANILLA)
1/4 Cup Cranberries
1/4 Cup Almonds (soaked)
1/4 Cup Cashews (soaked)
1 tsp Cinnamon
2 Tbsp Chia/Flax Blend (or 1 Tbsp of each seed)
2 Tbsp Hemp Seeds
1 Tbsp Coconut Flakes
1. Add your Almonds and Cashews to a bowl and cover them, by at least 1 inch, with filtered water (set aside to soak for an hour).
2. In a small saucepan on low/med heat, add the Almond Milk and stir until just below boiling, then pour into a large mug with the 2 Chai Tea bags. Let the tea steep for about 10 minutes, then place in the refrigerator (with steeping tea bags) to chill for an hour.
3. Once the Almond Milk Tea is cold, remove and discard (compost) the tea bags, pour Almond Milk into blender.
4. Drain (discard) the water from the soaked Almonds and Cashews. Add the nuts to the blender.
5. Now add the Frozen Banana, Medjool Dates and Cranberries to the blender. Blend on “crush ice” setting until the solids have been broken down, then switch to “liquify” (high) setting until smooth.
6. Add in the Vega powder, Cinnamon, Chia, Flax, Hemp Seeds and Coconut Flakes. Blend once again until very smooth. Feel free to adjust (add some ice or more liquid if needed)
7. Pour into a large, tall glass and sprinkle with some more Coconut flakes and Cinnamon if you desire. CLEAN UP BEFORE DRINKING (this reenforces good habits and a new regimen). Enjoy!
Don’t forget to check out all of the great plant-based, whole food products from Vega. Their smoothie powders are delicious, nutritious, animal-free and are the foundation for all of my smoothie recipes. http://myvega.com/
Enjoy your smoothie w/ your favorite straw; although, for Earth’s sake, I recommend a glass one from Glass Dharma http://glassdharma.com.